Amazon QuickSight is a cloud-scale enterprise intelligence (BI) service that you should use to ship easy-to-understand insights to the folks you’re employed with, wherever they’re.
You possibly can construct dashboards utilizing combos of knowledge within the cloud, on premises, in different software program as a service (SaaS) apps, and in flat recordsdata. Though customers can at all times view and work together with dashboards on-demand of their browser or our native cell apps, typically customers choose to obtain notifications and report snapshots on a scheduled foundation or when a sure worth surpasses a user-defined threshold.
On this put up, we stroll you thru the options and technique of scheduling e-mail studies and configuring threshold-based alerts.
Overview of answer
In QuickSight Enterprise version, you’ll be able to e-mail a report from every dashboard on a scheduled foundation or primarily based on a threshold set for KPI and gauge visuals. Scheduled studies embrace settings for when to ship them, the contents to incorporate, and who receives the e-mail.
Scheduled e-mail studies work with row-level safety so that every consumer receives studies containing solely information that’s related to them. Alert studies embrace threshold worth, alert situation, and the receiver’s e-mail. To arrange or change the report despatched from a dashboard, just be sure you’re an proprietor or co-owner of the dashboard.
To obtain e-mail studies, the customers or group members should be a part of your QuickSight account. They should have accomplished the sign-up course of to activate their subscription as QuickSight readers, authors, or admins.
On this put up, we configure the e-mail settings for a QuickSight dashboard for customers and assemble a customized e-mail for every consumer or group primarily based on their information permissions.
The answer consists of the next high-level steps:
- Arrange scheduled e-mail alerts in your current studies.
- Arrange threshold-based e-mail alerts for the present studies.
- View alert historical past.
- Arrange e-mail alerts if the dataset refresh fails.
For this walkthrough, you must have the next conditions:
Arrange scheduled e-mail alerts
To configure scheduled emails in your studies, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dashboard within the navigation pane.
- Open a dashboard.
- On the Share menu, select E mail report.
- For Schedule, select the frequency for the report. For this put up, we select Repeat as soon as per week.
- For Ship first report on, select a date and time.
- For Time zone, select the time zone.
- For Report title, enter a customized title for the report.
- For (Optionally available) E-mail topic line, go away it clean to make use of the report title or enter a customized topic line.
- For (Optionally available) E-mail physique textual content, go away it clean or enter a customized message to show in the beginning of the e-mail.
- Choose Embrace PDF attachment to connect a PDF snapshot of the objects seen on the primary sheet of the dashboard.
- For Optimize report for, select a default format possibility for brand new customers.
- Below Recipients, choose particular recipients from the checklist (really useful), or choose Ship e-mail report back to all customers with entry to dashboard.
- To ship a pattern of the report earlier than you save modifications, select Ship check report.
This selection is displayed subsequent to the consumer identify of the dashboard proprietor.
- To view an inventory of the datasets utilized by this report, select View dataset checklist.
- Select Save report or Replace report.
A “Report scheduled” message briefly seems to verify your entries.
- To instantly ship a report, select Replace & ship a report now.
The report is distributed instantly, even when your schedule’s begin date is sooner or later.
The next screenshot exhibits the PDF report seen to the consumer
AlejandroRosalez. They’ve entry to information the place the state is California or Texas, and the town is Los Angeles or Fort Value.
The next screenshot exhibits the report seen to the consumer
SaanviSarkar. They’ll see information for any metropolis, however provided that the state is Texas.
The next screenshot exhibits the report seen to the consumer
MarthaRivera. Martha can see the info for any metropolis or state.
The next screenshot exhibits that no information is seen to the
workshop consumer, which isn’t current within the
Arrange threshold-based e-mail alerts
To create an alert primarily based on a threshold, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight dashboard, select Dashboards, and navigate to the dashboard that you really want.
For extra details about viewing dashboards as a dashboard subscriber in QuickSight, see Exploring Dashboards.
- Within the dashboard, choose the KPI or gauge visible that you just need to create an alert for.
- On the choices menu at upper-right on the visible, select the Create alert icon.
- For Alert identify, enter a reputation for the alert.
- For Alert worth, select a price that you just need to set the brink for.
The values which might be obtainable for this feature are primarily based on the values the dashboard creator units within the visible. For instance, let’s say you’ve got a KPI visible that exhibits a p.c distinction between two dates. On condition that, you see two alert worth choices: p.c distinction and precise.
If the visible has just one worth, you’ll be able to’t change this feature. It’s the present worth and is displayed right here so that you could use it as a reference when you select a threshold. For instance, when you’re setting an alert on precise, this worth exhibits you what the present precise price is (for instance, $5). With this reference worth, you can also make extra knowledgeable choices whereas setting your threshold.
- For Situation, select a situation for the brink.
- Is above – The alert triggers if the alert worth goes above the brink.
- Is beneath – The alert triggers if the alert worth goes beneath the brink.
- Is the same as – The alert triggers if the alert worth is the same as the brink.
- For Threshold, enter a price to immediate the alert.
- Select Save.
A message seems indicating that the alert has been saved. In case your information crosses the brink you set, you get a notification by e-mail on the tackle that’s related along with your QuickSight account.
View alert historical past
To view the historical past of when an alert was triggered, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dashboards, and navigate to the dashboard that you just need to view alert historical past for.
- Select Alerts.
- Within the Handle dashboard alerts part, discover the alert that you just need to view the historical past for, and develop Historical past below the alert identify.
Arrange e-mail alerts if the dataset refresh fails.
To configure emails alerts, if the your dataset refresh fails, full the next steps:
- On the QuickSight console, select Dataset, and select the dataset that you just need to set an alert for.
- Choose E mail homeowners when a refresh fails.
- Shut the window.
To keep away from incurring future fees, delete the QuickSight customers and Enterprise account.
This put up confirmed the best way to arrange e-mail scheduling of QuickSight dashboards for customers and teams, in addition to how end-users (readers) can configure alerts to be despatched to them when a price surpasses or drops beneath a given threshold.
You possibly can ship dashboard snapshots as emails to teams of readers, and every reader receives customized studies as per the safety configurations set on the dataset. For extra data, see sending studies by e-mail and threshold alerts.
You possibly can do this answer in your personal use circumstances. When you have feedback or suggestions, please go away them within the feedback.
In regards to the Creator
Niyati Upadhyay is a Options Architect at AWS. She joined AWS in 2019 and makes a speciality of constructing and supporting large information options that assist clients analyze and get worth out of their information.